DMG-001 Field Test
Train to City (seated):
Ideal conditions, perfect contrast, excellent sound from Samsung earphones.
In a tunnel with lighting:
Conditions less ideal but still very playable.
Basement area of a Building:
Not recommended, terrible interior lighting. Uncomfortable in areas that provide better lighting.
Train back (standing):
Surprisingly very playable due to carriage lighting.
Can’t distinguish objects on screen. Rely on audio and muscle memory only.
At Home (Day):
Ideal conditions, though noise from builtin headphone amp is very noticeable.
At Home (Night):
Unplayable, needs backlighting or extra environmental lighting.
- Durable/rugged design, stronger than a modern smartphone.
- Relatively compact, only slightly larger than a Samsung Galaxy Note 5.
- Easy to use, comfortable controller.
- Excellent battery life
- Great bass compared to other Game Boy models
- No backlight/frontlight option in original design
- Cannot play GameBoy Color games (insufficient RAM and colour palette)
Apart from some lighting issues, the DMG-001 is an excellent unit for both GameBoy games and Chiptune music creation.